Friday, October 26, 2007

Summer Holiday 2007 (Part 1 - Departure)

Hi All,

So this is it, August 2nd, 2007. This is the day when my long journey start. I'm very excited because I will travel around Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao and back to Indonesia for 2.5 months long. My flight was departed from Des Moines Airport Iowa on August 2nd, 2007 at 6:35am. Because of this early flight I have to check in to the nearest hotel (Best Western Des Moines Airport Hotel) the day before, so I can catch the 24 hr free shuttle to airport. The hotel is nice though, comfortable and spacious.

The Room:
Best Western Des Moines Aiport Hotel

My flight was actually a direct flight (according to my itinerary) but it actually make an hour transit at Denver International Airport before arriving at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) using United Airlines (UA1197).

Denver Airport:
Denver Airport

After arrived at LAX, I have to check in at Singapore Airlines (SQ) ticket Counter to change my UA Boarding pass to the SQ Boarding pass, because they need to make sure that I have arrived at LAX and ready to board their aircraft to Narita (Tokyo, Japan). Here the check in process was a little bit confusing, because I have already check all my luggage all the way to Narita, and the security people in front of SQ ticket counter ask me to queuing up together with other passengers that need to check their luggage in which I think will take a lot of time here (You know I haven't had my breakfast, and in UA flight you will never get free food except some mini pretzel and drink).

So, I decided to skip all the queue and ask the person inside the counter whether she can just reissue me the SQ boarding pass, and make sure my luggage had been transfered to their system from my previous UA flight. And she agree and ask me to queue in different line up, so that I can come to the counter before other people.
Tips:
if you fly from other city and change aircraft before your actual international flight, and you have already check your luggage to your final destination, you don't have to queue up again, because what you need to do is just getting your boarding pass and you are good to go.

The LAX gate:
Gate 101

SQ 11 (747-400 Aircraft) LAX to Narita:
Singapore Airlines 747

After having my brunch, I go through all the immigration check and ready to board the aircraft. I think SQ is the best airlines I have ever use. The FA(Flight Attendant) really take good care of all passenger.
Tips: If you want to know which seat is the best seat in that particular aircraft that you will board, make sure you check it using Seatguru. There it will tell you which section or seat number that you need to avoid or choose. But, make sure you know the airlines and also the aircraft model that you will use (You can find out in the website or your itinerary). In most cases, the emergency exit row is the best seat in most aircraft, because it has more leg room. After that make sure when you check in, told the person that help you check in which seat number you want to choose, and normally they will do it for you.

Inside the Aircraft:
SQ011

SQ's FA:
How Much?

This flight was about 11 to 12 hours, and I expect to arrive at Narita airport around 6:00 pm August 3rd, 2007, because of the time different between USA and Japan.

No comments: